| || |
| || |
|What could be more comforting and welcoming on a cold winter's night than a bubbling hot gratin, straight from the grill? What is more, this recipe provides umami in the form of oysters and grated cheese. Ideal served with some crusty bread.|
1 cod fillet
200ml chicken stock
2 tbsp butter
1 spring onion
3 tsp flour
50g grated cheese (e.g. cheddar)
salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp chopped parsley
- Clean the oysters in salted water and dry well. Cut the cod into bite-sized chunks. Cut the spring onion into 1cm lengths, and slice the potato into 1 cm dice.
- Bring the chicken stock to the boil, add the oysters and cod and poach quickly. Remove the oysters and cod, and reserve the cooking liquor.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan, and fry the spring onion and potato, before adding the flour. When the flour has formed a paste, begin to gradually add the milk and the cooking liquor from stage 2, stirring well after each addition.
- Season with salt and pepper. When the sauce has thickened, remove from the heat. Pour half of the sauce into an ovenproof dish, then add the oysters and cod. Top with the remaining sauce, and sprinkle with grated cheese. Place under the grill until lightly browned on top.
- Remove from the grill, and sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.